Vision of RTRI
We will develop innovative technologies to enhance the rail mode so that railways can contribute to the creation of a happier society.
We will accomplish the following three missions:
- To intensify research and development activities so as to improve railway safety, technology and operation, responding to customers' needs and social change.
- To develop professional expertise in all aspects of railways and, as an independent and impartial research body, to fulfill our tasks using the best science available in an ethical way.
- To pioneer cutting-edge technologies for Japanese railways and become a world leader.
We will accomplish the three missions using the Business Strategy and the Management Strategy.
1. Business Strategy
1) Intensifying research and development activities so as to improve railway safety, technology and operation, responding to customers' needs and social change.
By pursuing excellence across all fields of activity and by conducting creative, innovative and high-quality research and development work:
- Addressing challenges that demand innovation
- Promoting research in fields where RTRI has significant advantages
- Exploring research frontiers
- Advancing interdisciplinary research projects and fundamental research
- Disseminating research outcomes
- Promoting highly market-oriented research activity to diversify and stimulate research
- Exploring visions of future railways
2) Developing professional expertise in all aspects of railways and, as an independent and impartial research body, fulfilling our tasks using the best science available in an ethical way.
Acting as an independent and specialist organization, we will be conscientious and dependable, taking advantage of all available scientific knowledge:
- Investigating accidents and disasters, and proposing preventative measures
- Enhancing technical support activities
- focusing on preparing railway technical standards
- Communicating information around the world in a timely and effective way
3) Pioneering cutting-edge technologies for Japanese railways and becoming a world-leader.
By accumulating knowledge and utilizing networks on a global scale, fostering technical progress which contributes to the development of railways around the world:
- Enhancing our global presence
- Encouraging our researchers' full commitment to global activities
- Supporting overseas deployment of Japanese railway systems
- Engaging actively in international standardization activities
2. Management Strategy
Strengthening our administration to support the Business Strategy, aiming to fulfill our missions.
- Ensuring legal compliance
- Achieving a working environment in which all employees can be highly motivated
- Developing human resources with the resilience needed for global activities
- Further constructing, improving and updating test and research facilities
- Preparing and implementing a sound budget plan
Masterplan RESEACH 2020
Objectives and Pillars of R&D Activities
- Vision of RTRI(4.4MB)