Basic Policy regarding Handling of Personal Information
Revised on October 1, 2021
Revised on August 1, 2019
Stipulated on July 1, 2015
1. Protection of personal data
RTRI will protect the Users' personal information (information about living individuals which can identify the specific individual by name, date of birth or other description contained in such information) by complying with laws and regulations and RTRI's internal rules regarding personal information protection and properly acquiring, using, managing and disposing of such personal information.
2. Types of personal information to acquire and the purpose of use
(1) Access log
RTRI automatically acquires the information of the Users who access to the RTRI's Online Services, including domain names, IP addresses, access time and dates, ID used for the access and other information regarding usage of such services. Such information will be used only for the purposes of confirmation of operating conditions, analysis of security and compliance and usage analysis of the RTRI's Online Services. For usage analysis, such information will be handled as masked statistical data which cannot identify the specific individual and RTRI will not conduct analysis to track the browsing history of the Users by linking it to individuals or their devices.
(2) User information
In the event of inquiries from the Users, registration applications for membership-based website by the Users or personnel recruitment, RTRI may acquire the Users' personal information if necessary. Such personal information includes ages, sexes, career histories and others as well as the Users contact information such as postal addresses, names, affiliations, job titles, phone numbers and email addresses. Such personal information will be used only for the purpose separately noticed to the Users at the time of registration for each service.
(3) Application for event
RTRI will acquire personal information of the Users applying for the events hosted by RTRI. The acquired information will be used for the User's admission to the events and smooth management of the events.
Furthermore, RTRI may disclose the acquired information after processing it statistically in order not to identify the individual.
3. Disclosure of acquired information
Except as permitted by the laws and regulations including but not limited to the cases where (i) the User provides prior consent, (ii) RTRI entrusts (a company under contract with RTRI) with the handling of personal information in whole or in part to the extent necessary for the purpose of use stipulated in Clause 2 (as stated in Clause 4, Item 2)), (iii) any of the following items apply, RTRI will use the acquired personal information only for the purposes of internal use and not disclose it to any third party.
- Cases in which the handling of personal information is based on laws and regulations
- Cases in which the handling of personal information is necessary for the protection of the life, body, or property of an individual and in which it is difficult to obtain the consent of the User
- Cases in which the handling of personal information is specially necessary for improving public health or promoting the sound growth of children and in which it is difficult to obtain the consent of the User
- Cases in which the handling of personal information is necessary for cooperating with a state organ, a local government, or an individual or a business operator entrusted by either of the former two in executing the affairs prescribed by laws and regulations and in which obtaining the consent of the User is likely to impede the execution of the affairs concerned
4. Security measures
- Personal information management
RTRI will take necessary measures for prevention of leakage, damage, loss, misuse and falsification of the acquired personal information and its proper management.
- Supervising an entrustee
RTRI may entrust a third party with the handling of personal information in whole or in part. In such cases, RTRI will appoint a party that is recognized to be able to handle the personal information properly, properly stipulate terms for handling the personal information in the entrustment contract such as security measures, secrecy obligation, re-entrustment conditions, return of the personal information at the termination of the entrustment contract , and exercise necessary and proper supervision over the entrustee.
5. Disclosure, correction and suspension of use of personal information
If the User requests notification of the purpose of use, disclosure, correction or suspention of the User's own personal information, please contact the RTRI's contact form indicated in Clause 6 (Contact information) below. When RTRI receives such request from the Users, then RTRI will, after verifying such User's identity,take necessary actions in accordance with the laws and regulations.
6. Contact information
When RTRI receives any complaints about RTRI's management of the personal information, then RTRI takes proper and prompt action.
7. Scope of this policy
This policy is applied to all the services regarding the RTRI's Online Services.
8. Revision to this policy
Although such revision will be made with reasonable care, RTRI will not be responsible for any damage caused by such revision.